Monday 30 July 2007

Losing Our M&Ms and Eating Our Marbles.


Becky and I have come to the decision that we're both losing our marbles. Well, more than we already have. Discussing what each other had been up to in the holidays so far over a kilogram bar of Galaxy in the garden, we got comparing day to day events, soon finding out that we were both running our lives by lists. Rather ironically as at the time I had a To Do list the size of the phonebook scribbled on my wrist, with the words "Post It Notes" being top; and Becky had numerous pieces of old envelopes filling her pockets covered in hurried hand writing and makeshift maps to where her keys lay.

I'd noticed that over the past few weeks I've slowly been losing my memory space, often wasting half of my time searching for a pen that works before I forget what I'm to remember and the other trying to remember why I needed it in the first place. Becky was quick to agree saying she'd never forgotten what she was doing halfway through doing it as much her life before. NewScientist suggests this is in fact a sign that our brains are working, but I think with the lack of school and therefore the lack of need for concentration is taking its toll and we're turning into zombies when doing mundane tasks. So much so, we forget even doing them in the first place.

Another suggestion that Becky made is that our "highly intelligent" brains are simply making room for all our "highly intelligent" thoughts. Pah. The inverted commas around highly intelligent are not just there for aesthetic reasons, we're the type of people who have their Hallowe'en Costumes already planned and who eat M&Ms in alphabetical order of colour. [Vinnie Van Gogh and Einstein here we come, and for those who wonder depending on your brand of course, its Blue, Brown, Green, Red then Yellow.]

It's all good though as the weathers brightening up, we've had a barbeque and I have the obsessive compulsive antics of Duror in The Cone Gatherers to keep me somewhat sane. :P I'll start properly worrying when I find myself lost in Tescos, trying to buy Post It Notes to remind me to buy Post It Notes...

3 comments:

Shaun said...

Hahaha! Eating M&Ms in alphabetical order... I'm similarly fussy when it comes to eating things like that. I always try to avoid eating two Fruitella with the same flavour one after the other, and make sure the last one is one of my favourites - strawberry or lemon, preferably.

Luckily, I don't quite share either yours or Becky's problems, because my life is empty. I'd kill to have enough things to do that I need to make To-Do Lists. :P But it's nice to know that some people, you know, are doing stuff, whatever.

Liz O'Neill said...

Wow... and I thought it was only old people like me who were weird. Kidding. Actually my thing is that I believe numbers have personalities. I like 2, 4 and 6. Not sure why, they seem honest and a bit dim. I think 3 is bad tempered, 5 is sarcastic and 7 completely selfish. 9 is the worst - he lies to other lesser numbers. Tells them if they join up with him they'll get to be the teen version of themselves (five will become fifteen etc). Then he can't quite reach that. Keeps on lying however.
I'll stop now shall 1? Well, you both started it with the weird stuff.

Jemma said...

Ohhh, such a relief to know I'm not the only moderately insane person out there!

Shaun- M&Ms were made to be eaten in alphabetical order, you just have to be able to spell which frequently I do forget. And Fruitella! You have to chose your favourite to eat last, starting with the one you like least and working your way through them in backwards oreder of prefrence. Yunno, eating sweets isnt as easy as kids make it on TV...

Mrs O'Neill, now everytime I look at numbers I'm going to be wondering what personalities they have. :D I've always struggled with the consept of spelling numbers, as in eight and eleven, they look far better like 5ive, 6ix, 7even and so on... In my opinion anyway...

[/evil insane cackle]